Asbestos Safety Awareness
Why This Course Is Essential
Asbestos is a naturally-occurring mineral which has been mined and manufactured for use in different forms for centuries
Asbestos is the common name given to any of the six following minerals: amosite, chrysotile, tremolite, actinolite, anthophyllite and crocidolite. All of these minerals are naturally occurring and are mined from the earth as a raw material in many parts of the world. Asbestos was widely used from the 1940’s to the 1990’s in thousands of products and extensively used in the building industry because of its strength, durability and fire resistant properties.
The fireproofing properties of asbestos made the mineral an essential material to many industries such as the construction, automobile, manufacturing, clothing and more. However, the same strong asbestos fibres that allow a material to withstand severe heat are harmful when they are disturbed, resulting in the release of asbestos particles into the air.
When these fibres are inhaled, it can pose a serious threat to the health and result to diseases including asbestosis, mesothelioma, and other types of cancer such as ovarian and laryngeal cancers. These factors led to a UK law in 1999 that banned the use of all asbestos, other countries have similar laws in place however only half the world is protected from this deadly toxin.
Asbestos maybe present especially in houses or commercial establishments constructed before 1999. Asbestos itself is not hazardous unless damaged, and such damage can be done through remodeling, extensions or demolishing.
The Asbestos Awareness Course will cover:
- A complete overview of what asbestos is, how it is commonly used and it’s potential health hazards
- How to identify asbestos containing materials (ACM)
- What products asbestos was commonly used to make and where they are commonly found
- Asbestos regulations and legal requirements
- The correct precautionary measures that must be put in place for anyone who is likely to come into contact with asbestos
- How to measure airborne asbestos fibers
- Asbestos abatement practices and the steps necessary for safe asbestos removal
- The workplace requirements set forth by the UK HSE for workers undertaking removal work in buildings that contain asbestos and the regulations businesses must comply with.
Who Could Benefit from Taking this Asbestos Training Course?
Individuals who are most likely to come into contact with asbestos and would therefore benefit from an Asbestos Training Course include:
- Construction industry workers
- Maritime workers
- Industrial workers
- Maintenance engineers and maintenance employees (including janitors, electricians and contractors) who work in a building that contains asbestos
- Supervisors and managers who work in buildings built prior to the early 1980s (including schools, hospitals, offices and warehouses)
- Homeowners who own properties built before the 1980s (as well as prospective homebuyers)
Additionally, the relatives of individuals who have been in contact with asbestos can benefit from the knowledge and information an asbestos awareness training course will provide.
The course will take 2 hours to complete and a certificate will be issued when the course is complete and the final exam is passed with a minimum 70% pass rate required.
Who Benefits From This Course
Everyone who have contact with this material either in the workplace or in the home, Asbestos is a killer know the risks and the mitigation of dealing with this material!
The world is changing quickly and businesses need employees with training, knowledge and skills in order to be competitive.
People who continually develop their professional skills or pursue higher education and training, are placing themselves at the forefront for career advancement opportunities in their future.
By giving yourself or your employees, the knowledge to perform your role safely at work, you will stay safe at work and go home safe, which makes the rest and play time in life, far more rewarding, whatever it is you love to do.
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, EMPOWER YOURSELF TODAY!